Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1114 - 06/16/10 07:51 PM Van Halen Brown Sound
crhfish Offline
advanced member

I thought I would start a thread on the mythical brown sound. I uploaded yet another patch tonight this time based on the AC30. The idea came from some posts from another board where it is speculated the ED may have used an AC30 back in the day. I know its supposed to be the mythical magic plexi, but this thing sounds good to me, perhaps not quite the brown sound but it is chimey and fun to play.

#1115 - 06/16/10 10:18 PM Re: Van Halen Brown Sound [Re: crhfish]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Loc: Nashvegas
Can't wait to hear it / try it! Yeah man that's the beauty of this thing is there's no "wrong" way to approach a tone. There's always several ways you can get there even if it's not what someone would consider a traditional setup based on the artist you are trying to replicate.

Thanks for sharing!

#1125 - 06/17/10 03:46 PM Re: Van Halen Brown Sound [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
mike Offline

gotta try it i really want a convincing VHtone

#1126 - 06/17/10 06:38 PM Re: Van Halen Brown Sound [Re: mike]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

Ok when I made this patch I used a black/white franky replica I made that has an old PAF pickup with probably around a 9 reading. I found a Dimebag Darrel ML tribute guitar today at a pawn shop that has the super hot rail duncan pickup in it. Got it for a steal and plugged it in, naturally this patch was still loaded when I plugged in.

The patch sounds completely different through this guitar. Not really brown at all.

This is one of the things I like about the 11rack, it lets your guitar sound like an individual, but it sure does make it tricky to share these patches. I have a pretty sizable guitar collection with just about every kind of pickup made and they all sound different on every patch.

#1133 - 06/17/10 09:39 PM Re: Van Halen Brown Sound [Re: crhfish]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Yeah hence the problem with ALL the factory presets on the 11R in my opinion... Just do NOT work with my guitars and the pickups in them... This is why (when I'm not feeling completely lazy) I like to post a sound clip of the preset I upload so people don't think I'm completely tone deaf if it sounds like ass with their guitars and thinking that must be how it sounds on mine because I know it doesn't always translate the same. At least you can hear how it sounds on my guitar and know that at least it's CAPABLE of sounding ok even if you have to tweak it to suit YOUR guitar.

#1138 - 06/18/10 08:23 AM Re: Van Halen Brown Sound [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
mikefont Online   content
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
I too have set out to create a VH Brown Sound rig. I have even gone as far as to import "Running With The Devil" into Pro tools so that I could isolate that first chord that Ed play's (where there are no other instruments playing HOPEFULLY), then copy and extend that chord to have a "continuous chord" ringing thru, so that I can create a track with my rig setting, play the same chord and A,B the sounds to get the rig to sound right. I'm trying it with an old Kramer that I have with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker in there, since the Pearly Gates spec's are very close to the 78' EVH pickup that supposedly Seymour made for Eddie back in the day...

My main problem with getting this done is that I have about 20 other project all going on at the same time. But since I bought the Eleven Rack, this has been a GOOD problem to have! grin

Mike

Edited by mikefont (06/18/10 08:24 AM)

#1153 - 06/18/10 03:57 PM Re: Van Halen Brown Sound [Re: mikefont]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

Ok, you guys have inspired me to learn how to record a small bit. This is my first bit I've ever recorded. Please remember I am a rank amateur. I get nervous recording myself all by myself. That being said here is a link to a short segment with some sloppy playing, but it gives you the idea. This is using the Achalen patch and my old strat with the old PAF. I can play it fine until I hit the record button, then I get nervous as all heck. I guess if I keep doing this, it will make me better.

One more thing, even if you don't think this is very brown is sure does not sound like a modeler does it. Sounds like a tube amp to me.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1079257

#1161 - 06/20/10 08:51 AM Re: Van Halen Brown Sound [Re: crhfish]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Nice job man - it's wild that you actually got really close to the Brown sound with the AC30 which is again whats so cool about the 11R. I'm diggin' it!

#1338 - 07/03/10 06:50 AM Re: Van Halen Brown Sound [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
mike Offline

im still workin on a passable VH preset, anybody find a good one yet? the factory presets sound nothing like VH imo. im actually closer with my STILETTO DUECE.

#1339 - 07/03/10 08:02 AM Re: Van Halen Brown Sound [Re: mike]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

Try making your own. I found the following works fairly well. Dime the plexi amp and use either the 25w or 30w celestion cabs. Put the graphic EQ in front of the amp and turn on the reverb of your choice after the amp. Boost the mids on the EQ (frown) and boost/reduce the level to fit your ear and pickups. Mic choice and location is important, I found the off axis 57 to be the best. Then you can also use the impedance choices on the truZ to take out more highs if you like. Works like adding a long cord between your guitar and the amp.

This is not far from how Ed did it. The only thing missing is the variac on the plexi. Your guitar and pickups will be the key. Each guitar sounds very different through the 11R in my opinion. When you get one dialed in, post it up here.

The other thing I realized messing around with this is that there is really not one brown sound. Ed created many different sounds each almost unique to each song he played depending on the guitar. His technique (hands) makes them sound similar. Each album certainly had its own unique sound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >